Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Dark Passenger in Dexter

In my opinion, Dexter is a great show!! It does get pretty rough at times, and I have even had to look away for some of the more disturbing scenes.  But I think there are a lot of good themes we can take from the show.
Dexter often refers to his problem (you know, killing people...) as his 'Dark Passenger.'  If my memory serves me correctly his Narcotics Anonymous sponsor, Lila, was the first person to use this phrase.  This is a name that we could apply to our sins.
Dexter hates his addiction to killing people, he wants to stop killing people, and he usually does not feel better after he caves in to his Dark Passenger.  Struggling with sin goes the same way.  We hate thinking, acting, and saying certain things; we want to not be that way; and when we do give into temptation we do not feel any better (usually worse).
I find myself being inspired by Dexter.  When he fights off the temptation to kill someone, it encourages me to fight off my own temptations!

No comments:

Post a Comment