Monday, November 1, 2010

The Spinning Top in Inception

I saw Inception the other day.  This was my second time to see it and, as always, I picked up something new this time.  Well, to be honest, my roommate made this point and I am simply developing his idea.
At the end of the movie, Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio's character) spins his top, which is his totem.  Until two days ago, I argued that the top was going to fall over.  Otherwise, the movie would be pointless and Cobb would never have gotten back to reality! However, my roommate then made the valid point that if the top did quit spinning then the movie would not be a metaphor for our lives!
The reality that Cobb is in at the end of the movie (when he finally sees his kids again) represents our lives here in earth.  This is just a 'dream' for the life that is to come when we die and go to heaven (which will last for eternity).  In the movie the only way to wake up from a dream was to receive the kick, or die.  Well, it is the same in our lives.  Only when we die will we wake from this 'dream.'

No comments:

Post a Comment